June 3, 2017

Salsa, salsa and more salsa!

This week was really fun! I found out that there are free slasa lessons pretty much every night all around Israel and naturally I had to check them out. So last Sunday, I went to the Herzliya park to see what it was all about.
Although I have danced ballroom since I first arrived at Northeastern, I haven´t really danced a lot of Cuban salsa. Even so, it was fairly easy for me to pick up on it and soon I was dancing with a bunch of people.
I had a really nice time, and what is even better is that I made a bunch of friends there. This led me to go salsa dancing four nights last week! One of my favorite nights was at a place called Studio B. It is a dance studio, but at night it turns into some sort of dancing venue. In each classroom, an instructor teaches a different style like salsa, bachata, lambada and even Argentine tango and after the lesson they play music pertaining to that style. So for the rest of the night you can basically just go from room to room dancing different things.
Finally at one of the places, I ran into my old teacher from high school. It was really unexpected but I really enjoyed reconnecting with her an hopefully we´ll get the chance to catch up soon.

What I love about dance and in this case salsa is that it is pretty universal. You can go pretty much any place in the world and even though you might not be able to speak the same language you can connect with people and share something everybody likes doing together. It can often be intimidating especially when you get started, but if you go with it, you will slowly improve and build relationships with the people you meet.
In the coming weeks I am excited to continue salsa dancing although maybe not every night :P

No comments:

Post a Comment