April 7, 2017

Life in Rome

Life in Rome has been challenging. Moving to a new country for Coop is different than studying abroad (whether that be at Northeastern in Boston, or in London for study abroad last semester). This is because, when you are on Coop, you are not part of a set program with people your age with whom you engage on a regular basis. Instead you need to meet people on your own. More often than not, the people you meet at work are older than you so it can be challenging to find a stable group of people. Although it has taken me longer to settle in, I am happy here. I love my job and coming to the College every day. I have forged great relationships with the staff and the Course Members and I am extremely engaged with the lectures I attend.

Even so, it can get lonely sometimes which is why you have to create a support network for yourself with people you can count on, things you like to do and goals that keep you motivated. I have done this through dance, the people I have met and finding ways to create work for myself at the College. As I come to my final month at the NDC I am extremely surprised at how quickly time has gone by. In a way I wish I could stay longer as I finally feel I am getting the hang of things. That is why having is 6 month Co-op is nice. Even so, I am excited to pursue new adventures in Israel where I will be doing the second part of my Coop at the Institute for Counter-Terrorism. More so, I am looking forward to being back on campus. Since I was studying abroad in London last semester, I haven't been in Boston for about a year and I haven't been in classes at Northeastern for about a year and a half (I did my first Coop the semester before studying abroad). I am eager to be back on campus and to apply what I have learned throughout this year and a half to my studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment